Hardin Law Firm PLLC

Hardinlaw firm pllc

Call to Schedule a Consultation

child custody & support Archives

Determining child support outside of the courtroom

When North Carolina parents of minor children decide to end their marriage, the issue of child support will most likely need to be addressed. The state has statutory guidelines that courts will use when determining the amount of support that a noncustodial parent will be ordered to pay. However, parents can choose other methods to establish the amount.

An overview of child support collection

If a North Carolina parent is entitled to child support, a state disbursement unit may be of assistance in collecting it for and distributing it to that parent. It is also the job of the SDU to accurately identify payments as well as provide payment records to a parent or to a court. It is important to note that the SDU must work on behalf of parents who receive Temporary Assistance to Needy Families.

When child support ends before a child is 18

Parents are legally obligated to support their children whether or not they live with them. While child support generally stops in North Carolina when a child reaches the age of 18, there are circumstances in which a noncustodial parent's child support obligations may end before then. If the child becomes legally emancipated due to marriage or joining the military, the parent may no longer be required to pay child support. A child may also become emancipated by becoming economically independent or by abandoning the family home.

Getting retroactive child support

When newly-divorced North Carolina parents are seeking a child support order, they might want to request retroactive support as well. However, they may need a number of documents in order to do so. They may have to provide a list of expenses as well as proof that they have not received support. Furthermore, they might have to show attempts to collect the support. Finally, if the party who will be asked to pay support is the father, it may be necessary for the custodial parent to prove he was aware of the child.

Getting child support when a parent becomes disabled

In many divorced North Carolina families, one parent is usually required to pay child support to the other one. The amount of child support a noncustodial parent is obligated to pay generally depends on his or her financial situation. However, if he or she suddenly becomes disabled, it could cause the child support order to change.

Learning more about the DPPA

The Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act is a federal law that levies penalties against noncustodial parents who move to another state in an effort to avoid their child support obligations. Created in 1998, it says that North Carolina residents or others may be subject to prison time in addition to paying back child support owed. The DPPA may apply to any parent who has moved to another state and has failed to make payments for more than a year totaling more than $5,000.

Child support payments, paternal time with children linked

Fathers in North Carolina who do not pay child support might also spend less time with their children. This includes everyday activities such as helping children with their homework. Those fathers are also less likely to offer in-kind items such as medicine or clothes.

Back child support doesn't disappear when kids turn 18

Some custodial parents in North Carolina are owed back child support from their children's noncustodial parents. In some cases, this back debt may remain even as the children reach age 18, and the parents may not be aware that they may still take action to collect on the debt.

Child custody trial underway for Uma Thurman and ex

North Carolinians might be interested in the child custody trial that recently got underway in New York between actress Uma Thurman and her ex-fiance, Arpad Busson. The former couple is battling over the daughter they share together, who is 4 years old.

How Can We Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy