In this section

April 2017 Archives

Video: FAQ: Do you need a separation agreement? | Hardin Law Firm PLLC

Although you may no longer want to live with your soon-to-be former spouse, communication is still needed. In fact, couples that can reach agreement without the court's involvement will be able to save themselves both time and money.

Can you go to jail for not paying child support?

Are you waiting to receive child support payments from the other parent of your child? Maybe the other parent is telling you that the money is coming soon, or that it's not his or her fault. Regardless, the reasons and excuses, if you're struggling financially due to unpaid child support, the law is on your side.

When child support ends before a child is 18

Parents are legally obligated to support their children whether or not they live with them. While child support generally stops in North Carolina when a child reaches the age of 18, there are circumstances in which a noncustodial parent's child support obligations may end before then. If the child becomes legally emancipated due to marriage or joining the military, the parent may no longer be required to pay child support. A child may also become emancipated by becoming economically independent or by abandoning the family home.

Getting retroactive child support

When newly-divorced North Carolina parents are seeking a child support order, they might want to request retroactive support as well. However, they may need a number of documents in order to do so. They may have to provide a list of expenses as well as proof that they have not received support. Furthermore, they might have to show attempts to collect the support. Finally, if the party who will be asked to pay support is the father, it may be necessary for the custodial parent to prove he was aware of the child.

Getting child support when a parent becomes disabled

In many divorced North Carolina families, one parent is usually required to pay child support to the other one. The amount of child support a noncustodial parent is obligated to pay generally depends on his or her financial situation. However, if he or she suddenly becomes disabled, it could cause the child support order to change.

Email Us For A Response

schedule a consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Hardin Law Firm PLLC

Hardin Law Firm PLLC
1314 Raeford Road, Suite D
Fayetteville, NC 28305

Phone: 910-849-2356
Fax: 910-568-4960
Fayetteville Law Office Map

Review Us