How Can I Leave an Abusive Relationship When I Have No Money?

Often times abusers will control their partner’s finances to keep them from leaving the relationship. Luckily that doesn’t have to be the case. Many women escape abusive relationships without money by creating a plan and reaching out to the others for help – and you can too.

Here are some tips to get out of an abusive relationship when your partner controls your finances.

Create a safety plan

If you can you should create a plan as soon as possible. You may want to reach out to someone who you trust such as a family member, friend, neighbor or doctor to help create a plan. If you are unable to use your personal cell phone or computer there are community phones available at community centers and libraries. You can also try to reach out to others via internet calling such as through Skype or Google Voice. Make sure to keep a list of important numbers in case you need to escape quickly.

Find a domestic abuse shelter

Women’s shelters can provide emergency and temporary housing to protect victims of domestic abuse. The shelters are unmarked so you will need to reach out to the shelter directly to find out where you should go. Shelters can provide you with resources such as counseling and legal support that can help you to move forward from the relationship.

Get a protective order

Many women who leave abusive relationships choose to get a domestic violence protective order also known as 50B orders. Protective orders can keep your abuser from contacting or coming within a certain distance of you.

These orders can help you with getting your property back such as your car, pet and other personal belongings. They can also grant you temporary custody of your children. Keep in mind that these are just a few of the many ways that a protective order can benefit victims.

If you’re ready to leave the relationship it’s important to know that you’re not alone. You and your family’s safety is invaluable. By creating a plan and reaching out to victim advocates you can get the help you need to leave the relationship safely without spending a dime.

If you need one-on-one support you can reach out to The National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or visit their website to speak with someone via chat 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Related Posts
  • How Long Does it Take to Get a Divorce in North Carolina Read More
  • The Emotional Toll of Family Law Disputes: Coping Strategies for You and Your Children Read More
  • Domestic Violence and Divorce: How Protective Orders Can Help Read More