When Parents Want to End Child Support Payments

Child support can be necessary for many parents in North Carolina, and determining the amount of child support benefits can be a significant part of any custody or divorce process. Children are entitled to receive financial support from both of their parents until they become adults, and these support benefits can be mandated by the court even when parents do not formally file for support. There are several reasons why the parent receiving child support may want to stop these payments, even if they initially applied to receive them.

There are a number of reasons why child support benefits could be modified, including a change to the child custody and visitation schedule or a change in financial circumstances. However, in some cases, people may want to stop benefits entirely and put an end to the financial obligation registered in the courts. In particular, some divorced or separated parents may reunite and pay their children’s expenses out of their common funds. In this situation, child support benefits paid from one parent to the other would be unnecessary and an unwelcome reminder of their previous separation.

In other cases, the financial situation of the recipient or the payer may have changed. Either the recipient or payer could file a modification if the recipient becomes substantially more wealthy. This types of change could include a large inheritance or a significant salary increase. On the other hand, a person may wish to free their former partner of the child support obligation if they face severe hardship.

People who want to make a change to their child custody and support situation can approach the family court to make that change. A family law attorney may be able to help parents to make a motion before the court for the desired changes and might work with the other parent to reach an agreement.

Related Posts
  • Spring Break and Child Custody: How to Plan Ahead Read More
  • Inmates Now Allowed to File Motions to Modify Child Support Read More
  • What Are the Penalties for Neglecting to Pay Child Support? Read More