What to Do When a Child Wants to Live With the Other Parent

A child custody agreement isn’t always permanent. After the divorce has finalized, the child might decide that they want to live with the other parent. While the custodial parent might have their reasons for not wanting their child to live with their former spouse, they should still take the child’s feelings into consideration and make sure the child feels like they’re being listened to. These are the steps that a North Carolina parent should take when their child announces that they want to live with their other parent.

How parents should navigate the discussion with their child

While it might be tempting to refuse the child’s request to change the custody agreement or criticize the other parent in front of them, the parent should encourage open discussion with their child. They should invite their child to speak openly with their feelings, but remind their child not to be rude. If possible, they should invite their former spouse into the discussion and set aside a time where they can all talk about it together.

The parent should be careful not to dismiss the child or make them feel like they’re being judged, even if they don’t want their child to associate with the other parent. If there’s a reason why the other parent isn’t allowed to have custody, they should patiently explain it to their child. And if the other parent can be trusted with the child, both individuals should come together to negotiate a fair agreement.

How to resolve child custody issues

If both parties are having difficulty resolving a child custody issue, the custodial parent might wish to speak with a lawyer. The lawyer might be able to help the client navigate the process and negotiate the best possible outcome with the other party that benefits both them and the child.

Related Posts
  • Spring Break and Child Custody: How to Plan Ahead Read More
  • Family Law and Grandparent Rights Read More
  • How Supervised Visitation Works in Child Custody Cases Read More